Still Into You

Today's blog title is the new single from Paramore, whose new album dropped today, which is very exciting for long time fans like me!  So of course I have the album playing while I animate!  On to more important things: I have another update on the one person dialogue I've been working on.  I haven't made any big changes, I've just been going through and refining, making sure there are no sudden stops, softening some movements, etc.  Just trying to make what I've done better.  And I've learned something very significant: I will never again animate Morpheus with the hands/wrists following the shoulders, it's been nothing but a headache and has caused me so much grief!  From now on they will follow the world!  I've learned my lesson....  And I'm about 20 hours in on this animation as of now.

In addition, there are some things lacking from this animation I'd like to address.  I've been thinking quite a bit about how to improve my process before I even begin blocking and in talking to a couple amazing animators I've realized how vital it is to give my characters more of a backstory--what lead the character up to this point, what they are really saying beneath the surface (subtext), what their objective is as a character, etc.  I want to clearly get the emotion of the character across, especially in that first pose.  I know that what I've just mentioned is somewhat lacking from this current animation, but after talking to my mentor Mark, we decided I will finish up this animation instead of reworking it, take the aforementioned principles and apply them to my next animation.  It's just another step in the growth process and though I am a little disappointed these character elements won't be included in this current piece, I have still learned so much and feel I've improved from my previous piece.  These are all just stepping stones to making me a better animator and practice makes perfect!

Sorry for the lengthy blog post everyone!  Just wanted to share my thoughts and the direction I hope to be heading with my next animation piece.

Second One Person Dialogue WIP#3 from Katie Canadas on Vimeo.

Again, the Toon Teddy Bear 3D model was downloaded for free from thefree3dmodels.com, I did not model it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wonder Woman

Box Jump